Sunday, February 3, 2013

Queen City Brewing (Staunton Va.)


    This year is the 10th anniversary of the fabled Dutch camping trip, which is a Friday to Monday event outside of Staunton Va. We had visited the site a month or so earlier and I attempted to find the breweries in the town of Staunton, I couldn't help myself. It turns out that Red Beard (not open yet) is going to be in the downtown area and Queen City Brewing is just off 250 on the way to the camp site.
    I have started a new position at work which almost forced me to cut the trip short this year. The idea of leaving Friday after work was going to be a painful decision. I got off work around noon and spent a couple of ours getting some last minute things in the truck and getting ready to set off. The moment I got on 295 to start my journey it starting snowing. No problem, dutch was used to snow, then it really started coming down and sticking to the road. I have already spent 5 hours behind the wheel today for work and now this was going to stop me, NO! I pushed on and cruised into the parking lot of Queen City right at 4 o'clock.
    It was no wonder I missed this brewery. We were looking on the wrong side of the street, and it was not anything like the other places I have been to. It was very small and tucked away in a hollowed out 7-11. They didn't have the massive stainless tanks, or anywhere to sit inside. Queen City acts as a place for home brewers more than beer enthusiasts. Two gentlemen who were waiting for them to open happened to be brewing beer there at the moment. The variety of beer available was far and wide. They offered pick your own 6 packs, single 22oz bottles, and 11 different beers for growler fills. Did I mention how inexpensive their beers are? I bought what is the picture about for less than $17.00! Most breweries charge 7-8 bucks for the growler bottle alone, QCB $3.50. The "limited edition" Barleywine came in at under 5 dollars, this caliber beer at a wine shop would be twice that much. 
    I guess most home brewers with big ambitions of developing into a larger scale operation would dream of places like Hardywood, or Smartmouth as a template for their brewery. Queen City is a place for the home brewing community in a local with limited resources. I would be excited to hang out at this place simply for the fact that these guys have nothing to lose and are really on the front line of innovation.

No comments:

Post a Comment