Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Bourbon County (Goose Island Brewing)


    This series of beer was the one that began my interest in cellaring bottles for later consumption. I really had no idea how the beer would change over time, but the Bourbon County Brand Stout was too hot for my taste. The flavor of alcohol was strong and any other subtle flavors didn't stand out against the heat. It was suggested that I hold on to a few for a while, maybe the booziness would calm with age.

    Last year around this time I was working in Richmond, and did not have a chance to buy any other Bourbon County labeled beer. I was only able to get my hands on a four pack of the regular stout, which I still have two bottles of with a price tag of $24.99, from Once Upon a Vine. From what I was told we missed the coffee all together. It was a mission of mine as well as many others to get at least a four pack of each this year, a lofty and expensive endeavor. I found the coffee in the back room, not even priced, yet already ravaged by the crazed customer. "remember that time you saw that case of BCBS coffee" I posted on Instagram, poking fun at this apparent ghost beer, heard but never seen. The beer angels must have smiled down on me that day.  


    It didn't take me long to get it cold and poured into a glass. I was so excited to finally get to try it, and I wasn't disappointed. It's rich deep coffee aroma, with the bitter astringency, still had a good bit of alcohol zest to it. If I could get another four pack of any of this series this would be the one. I had the barley wine for the first time, and was expecting to be blown away. I wasn't, I'm not passing judgement, I have one more for sampling. It may have been a busted palette. The beer did seem to improve as it warmed up. I will take the credit for operator error. I still have only one back yard rye, and I have heard it is amaze balls, so I will crack that open for Christmas. 
    I have heard countless bloggers, and pod casters speak poorly of goose island, due to the association of AB-INBEV. I could care less, year after year I look forward to these beers coming out and they never let me down. I wish all of this haters would stop buying it so I could get more.

No comments:

Post a Comment