Thursday, June 18, 2015

Indra kunindra (Ballast point brewing)

Like I mentioned previously, Ballast Point is very on point and have several world class brews. Indra Kunindra is one that I passed on buying the first time around. The original bottles to hit distribution disappeared so quickly, I had to snag one second go round.
I went searching for the origin date of this beer, and came up empty handed. I am guessing by the ancient ballast point label on beer advocate that this beer is not new to market. That being said, was ballast point ahead of it's time with regards to this trend of beer transcending stylistic guidelines? Stouts have been done over and again, with coffee, chocolate, mint, and all sorts of additives. The pepper beers have been coming on more and more recently. We have even had two different breweries release Sriracha beers in the past year. The most recent beer that I think is going after a flavor so out of the box is Or Xata from Bruery. These beers are so easy to drink, they feel more like a malt that beer. The curry spice was not just hot, it added a nice flavor to leave you wanting more.

The reviews on this beer are not very good, and I think that is unfair. People this beer is what brewers are capable of if you give them a chance. You have to open your palette up and forget style guidelines. This is a clean beer with no horrible off flavors, that hides ABV like an old pro. Do not sit down and drink this with huge coffee stouts, or big IPAs and expect to fully appreciate the subtle flavors here. I promise I will step off my ballast point soap box now. 





Fin

No comments:

Post a Comment