Monday, July 20, 2015

Spank (Smuttynose Brewing)

Happy 21st birthday to Smuttynose Brewery, from New Hampshire. This beer was a complete label buy. After read a little about the brewery, it's good they have a sense of humor. If you remember the setting of the good son with Macaulay Culkin, the shard cliffs of shear dreary rocks. That sounds exactly like where this brewery is in New England. In the 1870's Smuttynose island was even the setting for a gruesome double axe murder. I have to admit that my Smuttynose experience is limited to old brown dog, and finest kind IPA. I have been making efforts to try more of their beers, and this seemed like something there were proud of.
I have become more tolerate of Saisons as of recent. I try to stay away from the ones that seem very peppery. I have several that become almost undrinkable once the spice warms up. I grabbed this spank fresh and I am glad I did. The hops seemed very alive in this beer and showed up in the very beginning of the final act on my palette but faded cleanly. The malt in this beer was hearty yet light enough to allow the hops to shine. It has been over a month since I have drank this beer, but I believe the price point was fair at about $9 for the 22oz bottle. 

Lots of other interesting offerings have been popping up from Smuttlabs, including a brett beer. I will be tasting plenty more from these folks. You should check them out as well https://smuttynose.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment