Friday, May 10, 2013

Brewed Awakening (A book review)


                                        
    In the attempt to accumulate as much knowledge as I can about my profession and craft beer, I have taken efforts to read more. I have had a few books that are more beer encyclopedias and very hard to read. There are several books available from different breweries chronicling their story and rise to power. I think reading these back to back would be painfully boring and repetitive, so I look for books like Brewed Awakening to mix things up.
    Brewed Awakening is by Joshua Bernstein, and it takes a look at the different avenues that make beer exploration fun. He has been to a lot of places and tried some typical and not so typical beers. I really enjoyed the section at the end where he mentioned a craft beer cans only bar that features a ski-ball league. I am very happy there is a bar that is taking the risk of forcing education on consumers, while offering a different type of entertainment. DO NOT BE SCARED OF BEER IN CANS! I'll take a bar like this in Richmond please! He also preaches support for home brewers and home brew clubs. This is a tough area to break into, but people who brew like to share. I have more confidence in going to the local home brew club and getting to know some people who make their own beer. There is a whole chemistry side to beer that your typical store bought consumer doesn't get, I need this knowledge.
    I appreciate the beers that Joshua highlighted that get unfairly shelved at most bottle shops. There are imported beers made in other countries that are truly craft beers, not imports. I have these beers added to my Untapped wish list soon to be explored. They are more expensive than their domestic cousins. Scotland's Brewdog, made the End of History beer that was packaged in a taxidermied rodent (pictured below), 55% alcohol by the way. Brasserie Dieu di Ciel, Canadian brewery that makes top notch beers, buried in the import section. Norway's Nogne o has proven that they can make craft beers in the American extreme style with much success. I'm not sure I would have ever picked up any of these beers if not for this book. I walk the aisles at total wine totally differently now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment