Thursday, April 10, 2014

KBS (Founders Brewing)

The release of several limited beers has been a bit backed up thus far in 2014 which threw everything out of whack. We have received no reserve series beers from firestone walker since the start of 2014. It seemed like KBS was a late release, but I guess the April first release date for this was right on time. Why did they choose that date? I haven't a clue or care to look further into it. This dark treat is my personal #2 stout in the world, and once I find someone to write my beer app it will be official. You will find a 2013 and 2014 in my beer cellar. I quickly became worried this year that I would not be able to get any, but who am I kidding? 
There must have been buzz prior to April first. It was evident that the public knew ahead of time that this beer was coming in far more limited quantities this year. Why is that? Well, I don't work for founders but I do work for Brown Distributing and the Florida branch just began selling founders in the second half of 2013. I caught an interview from the owner of founders on you tube, and listened contently. The complete operation at founders stops to brew this beer. They make as much as they can in that week, but given the capacity for liquid in tanks and barrels, it is what it is. This year, what it was, was insane. Craft beer creepers waiting in parking lots, asking me as I walk into total wine if I worked there. People so concerned that this beer was being sold internally before being offered to the general public. I swear the old man had that crack head sweat going. Delightfully skipping with my single bottle back to the truck, I came across a scene that felt like something out of a after school special. First thing I saw was a women clutching her purse in front of her, her gaze directed to a man. A man trying to quietly attempting to give this women ten dollars to get him another bottle from this total wine. I wish he had really startled her and she had maced him. What a loser. I kick myself for not saying anything.
Founders KBS was the brain child of Engbers and Stevens, owners of founders brewing. The creation story begins in 2001, while working part time as a bartender. The earth, sun and the moon, or the chocolate covered espresso bean washed down with a bit of porter, and later a relationship with jack daniels snow balled into this. It is reported that KBS was not always an easy sell, and it was expensive to make. The extreme beer festival in Boston in 2005 was really the turning point for the legend and 100 point perfect KBS. Head over to www.foundersbrewing.com to check out the well rounded portfolio these guys provide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment