Friday, January 30, 2015

Japanese Green Tea IPA (Stone Brewing)


Dear Stone Brewing Company, As we hurdle towards the day that you fully invade my small city, big town with your beer garden, I am undecided. Do I like you or not? Does it really matter? I seemingly keep spending my hard, I mean hard earned cash on your goods. I often tire of the hoppy assault that you reign down on the beer market. You even came at me with an unapologetic IPA, which I could not support. Feel some sense of remorse for becoming too big for ones britches? Even your brewing brethren, ole Jim Koch, occasionally boasts of how many styles and beers he can produce. I really enjoy when he makes press for sharing his passion for how great he is in a public drinking establishment. The flood of your products in the northern Virginia market have began to dam up the aisles, giving me no choice but compare you to the big beer you so much despise. The more SKU's you make, despite the quality, have traction based solely on that five letter word. Damn it, you make good IPA's, and your stouts are very good as well. How will I feel about this Japanese twisted on hoppy perfection? Well keep reading my dribble below the attached image.

Simply the idea of green tea and beer was not something I was looking for someone to brew. Both beer and tea are brewed tho, so that's kind of a fun idea. As you can see by the picture, I got maps, and this beer was very cold when I poured it. The first few sips I really enjoyed, the tea note was playing well with the hops in the finish. I have to say as this beer warmed, or as my tongue got more coated with sweetness this beer became more like Arizona southern style. The hops began over running the tea flavor which I was thankful for. Over all, I am glad I tried this beer but wouldn't buy it again. 

I really believe that Stone coming to Richmond will be a good thing for the overall beer culture. The problem currently with the culture is that everyone is on top of each other racing to get to the next big beer release. I am hoping that this brewery and beer garden will draw attention of those new to craft beer to a experienced place for a proper education. Leave all this dope ass local shit to meee!

No comments:

Post a Comment