Saturday, February 14, 2015

The Mayan (The Ilkley Brewery)

I find myself tired of looking at the same beer from store to store when I am out shopping. I go to Food Lion locally and often breeze down the beer aisle hoping that something new has invaded the shelves. I am frequently disappointed. Even when I go to total wine or other chain stores it is normally a bunch of the same large craft beer names. Bells, Founders, Sierra Nevada, and the list goes on and on. When working I often talk to bottles shop folks and occasionally a silent sleeper is revealed to me. This beer was pointed out to me and was even reviewed as being better than prairie bomb, which I was doubtful of. I was interested in giving this a try though. I know nothing about it other than the style, chocolate chipotle stout (Mexican stout), which I am a huge fan of. Rate beer gives this beer high marks, and beer advocate, average. The odd 600ml size was a bit odd, and the near seven dollar price tag is not too taxing on the wallet. I was excited to try this recommendation and was hopeful it could stand up to the high praise it was given.
The store I was told about this beer carried this and one other beer from Ilkley brewing. The labels both looked very similar and I have been looking at this beer for quite some time before I purchased it. I had convinced myself this was a Mexican or south American offering but when I was met with the union jack on the bottle cap I was surprised. A English brewed Mexican inspired beer? This will be interesting. I split the bottle with my wife who doesn't like spicy, and she really enjoyed this beer. It is no prairie bomb but it is good, and available without postage year round. The spice note was not a lot of heat. It was more earthy pepper flavors. The body of the beer I wish was a bit thicker, and the syrupish chocolate was a let down. When I went to the Ilkley website it appears that they make a fair bit of cask ales, which makes sense after having this. It had a very similar mouth feel to a beer from cask. So yes it was fun, I would get this beer again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment