Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Dark Hollow (Blue Mountain Brewery)

            I'd rather be in some dark hollow where the sun don't ever shine. Then to be at home alone and knowin' that you're gone. Would cause me to lose my mind. Well blow your whistle freight train carry me far on down the track. Well I'm going away, I'm leaving today. . I'm goin', but I ain't comin' back. I'd rather be in some dark hollow where the sun don't ever shine.
Then to be in some big city, in a small room, with you upon my mind. Well I'm going away, I'm leaving today.
I'm goin' but I ain't comin' back.
           I was in Total Beverage here in the fine city of Richmond and the name smacked me in the face. Dark Hollow is one of my favorite grateful dead songs. It is part of my camping play list. They had a display of these singles right in the front of the store, and it worked. You see folks, that is my job to place things in parts of my accounts that get the mind working, until you realize you neeed it.
            This dark delicious is a Bourbon barrel aged imperial stout from Blue Mountain brewery, weighing in at 10% ABV. I like the way the brewery stamps the year on the cork in the bottle in case you are one of those self control drinkers that can have beer sitting around for years. I am not, bought today drank tonight with a hot dog dinner. I will form my opinion of this beer and if I think It maybe better later, I'll go buy another. I don't believe that I will be though. I'm not sure if it was my poor pairing or if this is just a nasty beer but for the money I wouldn't suggest this beer. It isn't alcohol heavy in taste, and it doesn't have a roasted or coffee taste. The after taste is almost fishy. I'm drinking it slowly hoping that my palette will come around. The brewery says they age the beer in barrels that are practically dripping with Bourbon, and I think that maybe the case. The Bourbon flavor clashes too much with the stout giving an off flavor. Most beers for lagering or storing, taste sugar heavy, so this one wouldn't really be a candidate.

1 comment:

  1. Correction, the cork is stamped with a best by date. 2013 on this one.

    ReplyDelete