Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Land Ho! Black Pilsner style Lager (A Collaboration)

I have to admit it collaborations are always exciting ventures to feed the flavor of the week craft beer crowd. Stone, Dogfish head and Victory brewing have done a series of collaborations they are still making to this day. I was hoping for something a little risky or maybe something that was more flavor intense, but that's not what I got. What I got out of Heavy Seas in Baltimore and Devil's Backbone from right here in VA, was what could be described as an apparent blended beer? It has some of the subtle complexities of the DB Vienna Lager but it has that mouth feel like a Heavy Seas Peg Leg.

My previous post had my rant about the Heavy Seas brewery and what it means to me and so on. Now Devil's Backbone is a "taste the local" brand distributed my yours truly, and it has been an exciting partnership. I have been to the brewery twice and my 64oz growler came from there. When Haley and I got married we used a gift certificate to the Homestead that I had won at work, which was a real bore. While heading to the next stop, a bed and breakfast outside of Charolettesville, we made a slight detour to this brewery for lunch. As a huge fan of the area the drive captured my imagination and once we got to the brewery, pictured on this bottle, I fell in love. It was the first part of our honeymoon where we could actually relax, we tried all their beers. One of the best things this brewery has going for it is the venue itself.

Devil's Backbone has won several awards for their different brews. You can find their Vienna Lager, one of their most decorated beers, their 8 point IPA and their rotating seasonal in bars and specialty shops all over town.

And of course check out and support both breweries at:

http://dbbrewingcompany.com/

http://www.hsbeer.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment