Monday, January 14, 2013

Long Strange Tripel (Boulevard Brewing)

    It is indeed a long strange trip and this new work endeavor is just another leg of it. I am now subjecting myself to even earlier mornings and longer days with a lot more driving to the great white, concrete north. Yes, Nova, the area that as a Richmond native I have dared not to venture in the first thirty years of my life. The legend speaks of a land of rude business types in a hurry, chasing that golden ring, blind to the rat like maze they are stuck in and part of. There are so many different nationalities that communicating has become difficult. The weaving streets and loops of interstate are just stupid, especially when behind the wheel of a box truck. The saving grace for me is the variety and scale of the craft beer scene. I also enjoy being 90 miles from my accounts on weekends.
    I did a sort of dry run, went to the area just to see what product was in the market and meet some retailers. My eyes were wide open to brightly colored packages and names I have never heard before. I needed some assistance and asked around the warehouse what to look for that was only available in NOVA. The one beer that everyone mentioned was Boulevard Brewing. Boulevard is known for being one of the biggest breweries in the mid-west. It has been in existence since 1989 which would make it the awkward younger brother of the Pioneer breweries of the early 80's. I like 750ml bottles and the smokestack series is there for me.I have to admit that this tripel was very true to style and well balanced. I recently drank a #3 Stingo English ale, which was a departure from what is typically found on your grocers shelves. My judgement is still under review. I may have to drink my way through their entire portfolio, if that's even possible. Get online and check out all their offerings at http://www.boulevard.com

No comments:

Post a Comment