Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Heady Topper (The Alchemist)

    One of the most hyped beers I have ever laid hands on this week kids. A friend I share whale pics with once asked me how he could go about getting a heady topper and pliney. I tried to talk him through the task of meeting people through various beer community pages, Ie. beer advocate, untapped, podcasts, or even locally in Richmond beer elite. I was able to parlay this trade by listening to "Should I Drink That", a Philadelphia craft beer podcast. One of the hosts started talking about the Gwar-B-Que beer that hit Richmond during the event in late summer. He asked if anyone could send him some, and I having just drank my last one, knew I could probably still get my hands on a 6 pack. Twenty minutes later I was sending him a picture via facebook of said 6 pack. He made the offer of can for can on this trade. I sent him two and he sent me two heady toppers.

The light seen over the right shoulder of the can are
angel's coming to have a peek at this marvel of craft brewing.
   I am sorry Zack, but I couldn't put a price on this beer or simply walk away from the experience. I like to share these experiences with people who also appreciate it. I wish you could have been around for either can. You would have dug it man. The first can got victimized late during our Octoberfest, as part of an insane big beer sharing moment. We had sours, big stouts, and this 8% ABV double IPA. The second can I shared with my friend Adam who was in town from Boston. This experience left a lasting experience. This beer features the perfect amounts of everything you look for in a good IPA. It has a good piney, and fruity note. The first sip is citrus, but not sour bitter, but juicy. I think I drooled a little while sipping. The finish is just as crisp and clean leaving your palette ready for more. 
   In 2003, the Alchemist began making this beer in a brew pub. After a problem with people sneaking the beer off premise, they began canning and still only distribute extremely small scale. This is the only beer they make. What kinda pressure must that kind of be? Check them out at http://www.alchemistbeer.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment