Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Rum Pumpkin (Hardywood Park Craft Brewery)


    I have had the timing recently to be out of town or committed every time a new beer or brewery comes out. Our second annual Octoberfest party happened to be on the same day as the long awaited opening for Lickinghole Creek Craft Brewery. Thank you to my friend Nathan who came through with a bottle of Short Pump Saison, to the party that evening. The following weekend, Hardywood released this beauty, the newest installment to their barrel aged series. RUM BARREL aged farmhouse pumpkin sounds like a great departure from the bourbon heat.
   The old brewery has changed so much in the few years they have been opened. They now own the building to the right of their original property, which is a dedicated tasting room. The new tasting room is accommodating for inside sipping our outside socializing. It was slammed the day that I went to pick up these bottles. I snuck back to the original tasting room and there was no line. I was able to get my taste and my to go (into my cellar) beer. 
    I have always liked the pumpkin mouth feel of the farm house beer. The rum barrel spices lend themselves to really carry the pumpkin beer to the next level. I have heard it said that people didn't like the original beer, really enjoyed this experiment. The 10.5 ABV is very well hidden, and this was the beginning to my fire pit sampling session. The kicker was Hardywood was also releasing their big IPA in 4 pack cans later this afternoon, and they also have a citra hopped pink brew for this awareness month. 
    I haven't had the great return yet, but they went all in with this beer. I believe they have been so dialed into what their customers like about the other styles they have made. It is very easy to believe this will be considered one of the best IPA's in distribution. It is a lofty goal and a charitable cause. How can you not love these guys?

No comments:

Post a Comment